Monday, February 23, 2009

Homes and Altars

Last semester I focused on nostalgia and longing through images of my family and post cards. This semester I am trying to find my way out of the two-dimensional world of tile and into free standing three-dimensional sculpture. Coming from a painter's background, it is surprisingly difficult for me to think three-dimensionally, especially after a semester's work in flat tile. 
Right now I am trying to find an appropriate next step in my search to understand my past and my nostalgia for it. These architectural pieces are my bridge to that comprehension. They are representations of early renaissance frames, with additions of architectural remembrances of my home from my childhood. The idea that I'm thinking about is that of homes, especially past homes, which tend to fill people with a reverence long after they have left them. 

No comments: