Sunday, September 21, 2008

Longing for times unknown

A few years ago my mom gave my photos of her and my family from a time before I was even thought of. These images of an era of youth and beauty during the '70s and '80s, along with found antique post cards, gave me a feeling of nostalgia for a time that I had never known. But looking at the images of my parents, my aunts and uncles at the age I am now somehow lends me to feel as if I know them in ways I would not be able to otherwise.
This leads me to a personal experience, one that feels closer to homesickness, a feeling generally not associated with an unknown place and time, but which I now connect with my own personal wistfulness for the places and times I have left behind in my own life. Strangely, the two merge to allow me to feel closer to home.
 

No comments: